If you are looking for a quick, easy, budget friendly, healthy dinner then this is it! Did I mention it’s delicious!?!? This is definitely going on our monthly rotation! Slow Cooker Gumbo with Chicken and Sausage is a recipe you really need to try soon!!
Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo with Chicken and Sausage
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cooking oil
3 cups chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
Chicken Broth (3 cups)
12-16 oz smoked sausage
1/2 a bag of frozen okra (chopped)
1/2 onion (chopped)
1/2 cup green pepper (chopped)
1/2 cup celery (chopped)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
4 cloves garlic
1. First you need to make a roux. It’s easy – just add 1/3 cup oil and 1/3 cup four to a sauce pan and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes stirring constantly. Turn the heat to medium and continue to coo for about 10 minutes, still stirring constantly. (This is the worst part I promise!) The roux is finished when it is a dark, reddish brown color. Set to the side and let cool.
Just be careful – the oil is obviously hot! I had a little bit splash on my hand and boy did it hurt!
2. Cut your veggies, chicken and sausage. Add chicken broth to the slow cooker followed by the roux and rest of the ingredients.
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
4. Serve over warm rice (we used brown rice).
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Recipe - August 29, 2018
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings Recipe - August 15, 2018
- Instant Pot Bacon & Bean Soup (Plus, A Slow Cooker version!) - August 5, 2018
- Dump & Go Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken - April 19, 2017
- Slow Cooker Turkey Tetrazzini - November 2, 2016
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter Recipe - October 3, 2016
- Most Delicious, Super Easy Slow Cooker Turkey & Gravy - August 23, 2016
- Easy Slow Cooker Dinner – Stuffed Shells - May 16, 2016
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tenderloin Recipe - December 3, 2015
- Easy Slow Cooker Dessert Brown Sugar Roasted Pineapple - November 14, 2015