Nothing says easy dinner like a slow cooker dinner. And no time is better for an easy dinner than summer time! This slow cooker BBQ pulled pork is a family favorite. I’m sure after you make it once for your family, it will quickly become a favorite of yours too!
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) boneless or bone-in pork shoulder (also known as pork butt), twine or netting removed
- 2 cups barbecue sauce (optional)
1. Put the onion and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour in the stock or broth.
2. Combine the sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin and cinnamon in a bowl. Pat the pork dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture over the pork and place the meat on top.
3. Cover and cook 6-8 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
4. When it is done cooking, place pork on a cutting board. Using a strainer, remove the liquid from the slow cooker, but do not discard! Put the solids back into the slow cooker. Save the liquid.
5. If the pork has a bone, remove and discard it. Shred the meat and discard any large pieces of fat. Add the meat back to the slow cooker and add your desired BBQ sauce. If you do not want to use BBQ sauce, skim the fat off of the strained liquid and add 1/4 cup to the slow cooker. Continue to add until the pork is just moistened.
6. Add salt if necessary.
(Don’t forget to pin!)
I definitely prefer this recipe with BBQ sauce (and even to top with some Cole Slaw and cheese!)
Recipe is from Chow.
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Recipe - August 29, 2018
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings Recipe - August 15, 2018
- Instant Pot Bacon & Bean Soup (Plus, A Slow Cooker version!) - August 5, 2018
- Dump & Go Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken - April 19, 2017
- Slow Cooker Turkey Tetrazzini - November 2, 2016
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter Recipe - October 3, 2016
- Most Delicious, Super Easy Slow Cooker Turkey & Gravy - August 23, 2016
- Easy Slow Cooker Dinner – Stuffed Shells - May 16, 2016
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tenderloin Recipe - December 3, 2015
- Easy Slow Cooker Dessert Brown Sugar Roasted Pineapple - November 14, 2015